A description will appear someday. I promise.

1/18/2005

Vegan Virgin Valentine -- Carolyn Mackler

This book didn't live up to its name. Or its cover.

Part of my irritation with it probably was due to the vegan thing. But not completely--she actually wasn't one of the annoying, super-self-righteous vegans. Well, mostly. Her reason for doing the vegan thing was much more about her taking control of her life--basically, the author could have easily made her anorexic, but chose to go for the less tortured approach. Which is good, I guess.

I just didn't find the main character all that sympathetic. Especially at first. She just seemed like someone that I'd want to slap. I was reminded of Catalyst a bit, (which I also didn't like very much) but only because of the over-achiever thing. Maybe I'm just not into over-achiever angst books. "Oh, my life is so hard, I just got accepted early-admissions to Yale. Waaaaaaaaa."

And I didn't find the romance realistic. The nuts-and-bolts of it worked, but I don't think that he'd actually go for her. She was too neurotic. Although, she did act differently at work, so maybe he liked that side of her. I don't know. I still don't buy it.

The major problem, really, was that it was the same exact book as so many others. It's just the one that you'd give to a vegan girl that wanted a fluffy book. (As if!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home