A description will appear someday. I promise.

10/06/2004

Nothing to Lose -- Alex Flinn
High Five -- Janet Evanovich

Two books that were just more of the same.

I read the newest Alex Flinn book, Nothing to Lose a little while ago. It was good, but honestly, how many domestic abuse books can one person write? (Actually, she's only written two that I know of; Breathing Underwater is the other one. Breaking Point looks completely different--and really good). It isn't that they're bad books--they're well written, plotted, etc. But they're somehow still the same. It's weird that Chris Crutcher can write book after book, all of them dealing in some way with some form of abuse, and every single one of them is different and wonderfully good.

I did like the stuff about carnival folk and the way they create family. I'll have to read Geek Love soon.

The fifth Stephanie Plum book, High Five, was just more of the same. More of the funny, crazy, totally entertaining same. I was not happy to see that Ramirez made a comeback. Ick.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you MUST read Geek Love.
it perturbed me.

-max

1:32 PM

 
Blogger off the hook said...

if you want an author that has overdone her genre, try lurlene mcdaniel. when bryn and i were at the library the other day we saw a whole area of them:
NOW I LAY ME DOWN TO SLEEP
A TIME TO DIE
WHEN HAPPILY EVER AFTER ENDS
SO MUCH TO LIVE FOR
Let him live.
A SEASON FOR GOODBYE
NO TIME TO CRY
Six months to live.

personally i think she should team up with other fantastically bad YA author, Christopher Pike, and write "Who pushed my wheelchair down the stairs??"

1:42 PM

 
Blogger Leila said...

Lurlene McDaniels bites ass!!

And would that be Max of Wayne, Maine?

3:19 PM

 
Blogger Lauren K said...

I'm hoping it's Max of Acton, MA, but I'm not holding my breath. Geek Love is gross and good and not the kind of geek you like.

3:44 PM

 
Blogger Leila said...

Oh, I know. At least--I think I know. It's the Freaks kind of geek, yes?

5:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is indeed the max-of-wayne.
i finally got around to checking out your blog.
awesome.

i borrowed Geek Love from "the other leila from boston", in fact.

i used to commute a few hours a day and read all the time. now i have a 10 minute commute and read much less... sadly...

-max

9:01 PM

 
Blogger Leila said...

I've been meaning to read Vachss for a million years. I think Josephine Tey and E. L. Konigsburg are in the catrergory of never repeating. Unfortunately, Tey died after writing something like six books. (I've read them all except for the last one. I don't want to run out).

10:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home