A description will appear someday. I promise.

10/05/2004

Away Laughing on a Fast Camel - Louise Rennison

More on Enid Blyton.

In the newest Louise Rennison book, Away Laughing on a Fast Camel (which was wonderful, by the way, and if you like the Bridget Jones books at all you should read them), Georgia talks about Enid Blyton in the glossary:

japes : Enid Blyton wrote children's books about the Famous Five in the 1950s. These five complete wets had lots of "japes" and "jolly wheezes." If, for instance, they hid behind the door and then leapt out to surprise their parents, that would be a "wizard jape." I think you get the picture of what extraordinarily crap books they were.
She's so right. They are totally crap books. Yet, they have this crazy, crazy rabid following. Of course, I should probably admit that whenever I find Blyton books at used bookstores, I buy them. But mostly I do it out of spite, so that the Blyton fanatics can't get them.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*snort* Yeah right.

-S

6:11 PM

 
Blogger Leila said...

You're my new best friend. Rock on. Enid Blyton haters, unite! (There seem to be far too few of us!)

10:41 AM

 
Blogger Leila said...

If they're reading anything, it's good. (I admit to a Babysitter's Club phase and a Sweet Valley phase).

I just personally can't stand them. Or the people that would come into the store and seem to think that I was personally responsible for the lack of them in the States. So I will admit that my dislike of the books is not completely objective.

8:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home