A description will appear someday. I promise.

10/06/2004

Chasing Vermeer -- Blue Balliett

Da Vinci Code for kids, minus the controversial religious stuff.

I read Chasing Vermeer quite a while ago, and I've kind of been putting off writing about it. It was good, sure, but I didn't love it--I certainly didn't think that it was mindblowingly great or anything. What it really made me want to do more than anything else was read Girl with a Pearl Earring. Or watch the movie again. (Mmmmmmm... Colin Firth...)

This is the letter that starts it all:

Dear Friend:
I would like your help in identifying a crime that is now centuries old. The crime has wronged one of the world's greatest painters. As those in positions of authority are not brave enough to correct this error, I have taken it upon myself to reveal the truth. I have chosen you because of your discriminating eye, your intelligence, and your ability to think outside of convention.

If you wish to help me, you will be amply rewarded for any risks you take.

You may not show this letter to anyone. Two other people in the world have received this document tonight. Although you may never meet, the three of you will work together in ways none of us can predict.

If you show this letter to the authorities, you will most certainly be placing your life in danger.

You will know how to respond. I congratulate you on your pursuit of justice.
The book is full of codes, puzzles, and I didn't figure out the answer before reading the solution. There is quite a bit of discussion of Picasso's quote, "Art is the lie that tells the truth," which was great. Even though it wasn't my favorite book ever, it would made a good book group or classroom choice because of all of the possibilities for discussion.

(The website is pretty fun--you can play pentominos, which figure into the story pretty heavily). I do think it's worth reading, but maybe not worth running out and buying the hardcover.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home