A description will appear someday. I promise.

8/23/2004

Yokota Officer's Club - Sarah Bird

Weekend reading.

I finished The Yokota Officers Club Saturday.

I've been sitting here for the last five minutes trying to think of a way to describe the book that really does it justice. I give up. It was a super book, from the family angle, the growing-up angle, the cultural angle, and the era angle. The author hit the feeling of going home and all of a sudden seeing your parents as REAL PEOPLE instead of PARENTS. She hit it perfectly. I'll probably read it again, it made me want to read more about military brats. It made me laugh out loud at moments, which is always a plus.

I Dig rock and roll music.

The worst of all the bad rocklike songs that are Okinawa's sound track wakes me. Through sleep-filmed eyes, I watch Kit gyrating in front of the mirror, dancing to the clock/radio. It is almost two in the afternoon. I wonder if I'm falling into Moe's lethargy. Kit has her shoulders hunched up around her ears and appears to be doing an impression of a hyperkinetic dwarf digging for something. Perhaps his chestful of treasure. Her face is even squinched into a pruney dwarf expression. As she throws wee shovelsful of imaginary dirt over her shoulder, I marvel, realizing that it is possible for my sister to look unattractive.

I groan and bury my head under the pillow. I am so grateful for the sound of an electric drill that obscures any further proclamations of Peter, Paul, and Mary's passion for rock and roll music that it takes me a moment to wonder who might be driving a hole into the concrete hallway.
I'm going to recommend it to my Navy brat mom--I'm curious to see what she thinks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home