A description will appear someday. I promise.

8/13/2004

Keep up with my reading groups.

So, starting this fall, I will not only be running the High School reading group at the library, but I'll be running the Middle School group as well. Here are the (awesome) booklists:

High School

You Don't Know Me, By David Klass
Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, By Mark Haddon
Whale Talk, by Chris Crutcher
About a Boy, by Nick Hornby

Middle School

The Wanderer, by Sharon Creech
The Thief, by Megan Whalen Turner
A View from Saturday, by E. L. Konigsburg
Going Through the Gate, By Janet S. Anderson

As those of you from the Monkey can see, basically the lists have the same theme: "Leila's favorite books". (This summer I did Last Days of Summer--they loved it, as some of them will agree--right, ladies?)

5 Comments:

Blogger Lauren K said...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

But no books by ladies for HS, and no books by men for middle. What gives?

3:48 PM

 
Blogger Leila said...

Oh, weird. I hadn't even noticed that. Well, the HS theme is actually along the lines of "Male Protagonists", and the MS theme is "Journeys". The books for the MS group have pretty mixed characters, except The Thief. But that doesn't matter, becasue everyone who's anyone wants to be Gen.

Hopefully, at the end of the respective sessions, I'll be showing About a Boy and Spirited Away. I will admit to being tempted to show Footloose for the HS group, since the Syllabus is titled "Let's hear it for the boys". Maybe I can work it in there, too.

3:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just so you know, we saw Spirited Away very recently in BookCovers - I forget why - but I have no problem with seeing it again. We own it actually, on DVD, in case you want to borrow it. I've looked at 'You Don't Know Me' but haven't read it, nor any of the others. For the Middle school list...I've read The Wanderer. I've started The Thief and never finished it. So shoot me. Maybe I should try it again.
I noticed you added 'Beautiful Ghosts' to your reading list. :)

4:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That above was Sarah btw. I'll try and remember to add my siggy, so that you know. But my purpose here is to say "Sweeeeeeet!!" A new Gerald Morris book. *dancing*
Oh, and I saw that in the YA section you have 'Sabriel' pulled out as one of your favorites. Have you read 'Lyral' and 'Abhorson' as well? Rockin' good books! :)

- Sarah

4:31 PM

 
Blogger Leila said...

Oh, I'm planning on showing Spirited Away to the Middle School group--it goes along with the whole 'Journey' theme. Kind of. You guys are watching About a Boy, with Hugh 'the smarm-eriffic' Grant.

Beautiful Ghosts looks pretty awesome.

And I've read Sab and Lir, but I still haven't gotten around to Abhorsen yet. Gah. I'll have to add it to my TBR list.

4:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home