A description will appear someday. I promise.

11/30/2004

Sammy Keyes and the Psycho Kitty Queen -- Wendelin Van Draanen

Sammy Keyes continues to rock.

In Sammy Keyes and the Psycho Kitty Queen, we get:
  • Sammy's thirteenth birthday
  • Casey Acosta
  • an Elvis impersonator
  • a new place in town that teaches pro-wrestling
  • a lot of dead cats
  • an AWESOME fight with Heather Acosta AND Tenille AND Monet
  • a secret that Sammy's mom has kept for almost ten years
  • some great moments with Officer Borsch
  • and yes, a psycho kitty queen:

    ...something catches my eye. Something pink off to my left. Behind some bushes. Along the far side of Hudson's porch. So instead I whisper, "What was that?"

    "What was what?" Hudson whispers back.

    I stand up and tiptoe the length of Hudson's porch. And when I sneak a step down the side stairs and peek around the bushes, I choke out, "Aaarrh!" and jump back. Right on the other side of Hudson's bushes is one of the scariest sights I've ever seen.

    A super-sized, batty-eyed Barbie.
  • If you haven't read these books, (adult or otherwise), start! They're so much fun. Sammy is as tough as Philip Marlowe and Sam Spade, as well as a million times cooler than Nancy Drew, as well as (gasp!) a REAL character, not a cardboard cutout.

    2 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    leila-the-great: I love your synopsis of my book! Wish I could send you the ms for the next one (SK&the Dead Giveaway) to be pub'd in Fall. End of year dance, stretch Hummer, teen pirates, and (of course) dead things. Thanks for your awesome perspective. WV

    12:29 AM

     
    Blogger Leila said...

    Wow. I'm floored that you found my blog. Sometimes, I'm secretly scared that an author will read a not-so-positive review here and then hate me forever. (Not that they'd care, probably, but still. It would make me feel bad).

    A new Sammy this fall? Way cool. Awesome. I'm already looking forward to it... If you have an extra ARC, you can always send it my way...

    Thanks for visiting!

    1:11 PM

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home