A description will appear someday. I promise.

11/29/2004

The Golden Hour -- Maiya Williams

Proof that Maine isn't boring.

There's a town in coastal Maine called Owatannauk. Yeah, big deal, you say--there's a ton of coastal towns in Maine with weird names. That doesn't mean that Maine isn't boring. (You say).

Maybe so. But, according to Maiya Williams, for two hours during the day (the Golden Hour and the silver hour, (otherwise known as dawn and dusk)), in Owatannauk, Maine, you can travel in time. You can only travel by appointment, and only someone who lives in Owatannauk can make the appointment for you.

I love time travel stories--IF the time travel is done well. (If not, I end up picking everything apart and getting all irritated. Yes, I know. It's a rough life that I lead). I really liked the way that time travel worked in this one--I liked that the author had created a system of rules that made sense (the more you time travel, the more static electricity you generate, so a lot of people in the town don't have electricity at all--stuff like that), and that it was actually dangerous. (Of course, the kids would head straight for Paris, 1789).

The author clearly did a lot of research about the time period as well, so I'd totally recommend it to a student who needed a historical fiction novel and didn't want a dull one. Any book with a guillotine on the back cover has to be entertaining. It's a rule.

Speaking of RULE... The Popplewells' aunts--the ones that actually live in the town--are AWESOME. I love reverse psychology. (Ask Briana).

"Sister, I believe that young man is going to go exactly the opposite of what you suggested." Gertrude, who had been sitting under the staircase, emerged from the darkness. "Your overcautioning and mystified gobbledygook has only emboldened him to explore that rundown resort with his friends."

"Yes," said Agatha. "I was worried that his fear of ghosts would keep them from going there. I had to give him a push."

"And brilliantly so, Sister. It is time."
It looks like there's going to be a sequel. Fine with me. I just hope that there's a map in it. I need to find this town. Josh and I are totally moving there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home