A description will appear someday. I promise.

12/09/2004

Faerie Wars -- Herbie Brennan

I didn't expect to like this one so much...

I find it amusing that the publisher got Eoin Colfer (the author of Artemis Fowl, which is extremely popular despite its EXTREME SUCKAGE) to plug this book. While I do think that AF fans will like it, I think that the quote will only serve to turn others (those of us with taste) away. Ignore the quote. Or, rather, read the quote and pretend that it came from someone else.

Faerie Wars is a good book. It's funny, the plotting is well-done, I liked the characters (especially the ultra-paranoid Mr. Fogarty, but I'm a sucker for crotchety old men), the demon was a riot, I liked the blend of sci-fi and fantasy (and I usually don't), and I'm planning on reading the sequel.

When I hit this bit, I knew that the book was going to be fun:

His father said quietly, 'I'm not having an affair with Anais. Your mother is."
Not only did this book make me laugh out loud a few times, it gave us an explanation for alien abductions. Really. What more could you want?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home