A description will appear someday. I promise.

8/25/2004

Four to Score - Janet Evanovich

A new-ish guilty pleasure.

I recently finally broke down and read the first Stephanie Plum book. And then the next one. And the next. So, last night, I read the fourth one--the brilliantly titled Four to Score. (Unlike Sue Grafton, Janet Evanovich is lucky--she's never going to run out of numbers with which to construct her oh-so-clever titles). All snarkiness aside (I think that I feel the need to be snarky so I can make myself feel better about enjoying these so much), these books rule. How can you really go wrong with an extremely unskilled bounty hunter with huge hair and blue eyeshadow from Jersey? She does things like squirt hairspray at people. And she likes doughnuts. But even better than Stephanie are her friends:

Stay out of this, fatso," Joyce said.

"Fatso," Lula said, eyes narrowed. "Who you calling fatso?"

"I'm calling you fatso, you big tub of lard."

Lula reached out to Joyce, Joyce made a squeak, her eyes went blank, and she crashed to the ground.

Everyone turned to Joyce.

"Must have fainted," Lula said to the crowd. "Guess she's one of those women can't stand to see men fighting."

"I saw that!" I said to Lula, keeping my voice low. "You zapped her with your stun gun!"
and family:

"Other mothers have daughters who get married and have children," my mother said. "I have a daughter who blows up cars. How did this happen? This didn't come from my side of the family."

We were at the table, eating dinner, and my father had his head bent over his plate, and his shoulders were shaking.

"What?" my mother said to him.

"I don't know. It just struck me as funny. Some men could go a lifetime and never have their kid blow up a car, but I have a daughter who's knocked off three cars and burned down a funeral home. Maybe that's some kind of record."

Everyone sat in shocked silence because that was the longest speech my father had made in fifteen years.
And, of course, there's the hot guys--Morelli, the cop, and Ranger, the bounty hunter. The books have all been pretty much the same (so far), but they make me laugh out loud. A lot. I've heard that the series goes downhill around book seven or so, but I've got a while until then.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to have to read these books too. They sound like a lot of fun.

BTW, Catch-22 is CRAZY. What are you trying to do? Ruin me? I think I'm going to have to finish it though, 'cause it's crazy enough that I'm interested. Like the line about the Doctor who's always a good friend and does everything in his power not to help Yossarian. Hehe.
I have been laughing, though mostly because I'm bewildered. :)

9:34 AM

 
Blogger Lauren K said...

You managed to mention both my Sue Grafton theory and the word snark in your post. Do you miss me or what?

I'll come visit if you only ask.

10:27 PM

 
Blogger Leila said...

Emily, don't you dare say that I didn't warn you.

And Lauren, once we get a house, you'll be visiting all the time. And then you will discover the wonder of Maine, and you will move back.

I don't think that I knew you had a Sue Grafton theory. Snark snark snark.

8:32 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, okay, you warned me. :)

10:21 AM

 
Blogger Lauren K said...

Move back? Is this some creepy Maine as mother womb theory? I have lived in three states, none of them north of where I am now. I cannot move back to Maine.

And I clearly postulated sometime two years ago that Sue Grafton was going to fight Janet Evanovich because Sue would eventually run out of letters (ie: cash cows) and turn to murdering to support herself. I can't wait for "A Kabillion with Jillion", the book where Stephanie finally hems and haws between Ranger and Morelli so much that Grandma Mazer makes off with Ranger while no one is looking.

Snarkily yours,
The Queen of Snark

12:58 AM

 
Blogger Leila said...

Maine is the motherland. Moving to Maine is always 'moving back'. (If you are someone that I want here--if you are just a lame-o that I don't like, you're just taking up space. So take it for the compliment that it is).

Grandma Mazur should totally get with Ranger. She rules. And Janet Evanovich would kick the crap out of Sue Grafton. I hate Kinsey Millhone. Or whatever her name is.

8:12 AM

 
Blogger Leila said...

PS. Snarkity snark snark.

8:13 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home