A description will appear someday. I promise.

1/05/2005

Oops.

So I hit a couple of used bookstores (used book stores? Stores where they sell used books) this morning, looking for copies of Smith for one of my reading groups. First of all, Smith unfortunately seems to be tragically difficult to locate--what is wrong with people? Why do they not realize that it's one of the BEST BOOKS EVER?

Yeah. So. Anyway. Even though I didn't find any copies of the book that I actually needed, I walked away with a much lighter wallet.

  • Ballet Shoes, by Noel Stretfeild

  • Theater Shoes, by Noel Streatfeild

  • Swallows and Amazons, by Arthur Ransome

  • Chancy and the Grand Rascal, by Sid Fleischman

  • All the King's Men, by Robert Penn Warren

  • The Sign of the Chrysanthemum, by Katherine Paterson

  • The Dead Secret, by Wilkie Collins

  • A Passage to India, by E. M. Forster

  • Jade Green: a ghost story, by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

  • The Wreckers, by Iain Lawrence

  • The Ogre Downstairs, by Diana Wynne Jones

  • Finn Family Moomintroll, by Tove Jansson

  • Last Term at Malory Towers, by Enid Blyton

  • In the Fifth at Malory Towers, by Enid Blyton

  • Five have Plenty of Fun, by Enid Blyton

  • Shabanu: Daughter of the Wind, by Suzanne Fisher Staples

  • The Starlite Drive-In, by Marjorie Reynolds

  • An Acceptable Time, by Madeline L'Engle

  • The Drackenburg Adventure, by Lloyd Alexander

  • The Cuckoo Tree, by Joan Aiken
  • I suspect that I already own some of them, but whatever. So I have a problem. Big deal. They're books, not crack. Right?

    PS. Just so everyone is still clear on this: I DO NOT like Enid Blyton. I just buy her books to torment her fans.

    3 Comments:

    Blogger Lauren K said...

    Uhhh... you paid money for Edith Blyton. I don't know what's wrong with you.

    Also, I bought a bunch of Tim Egan books at The Strand. You should go there. And visit me, because I'm moving there. Not to The Strand. You know what I mean.

    9:52 PM

     
    Blogger Leila said...

    I know that I own Smith. For all that I know, I have multiple copies. But they're still packed up at Dad's house, so they aren't very helpful. The problem was that I needed copies for all of the kids in the group. But it worked out--it turned out that I had enough for everyone.

    Since it was the first meeting, I was just handing the books out, and we didn't have much to discuss--so I had them play Smith charades. You should have seen them act out "hanging" and "stabbing". It was hilarious.

    9:51 AM

     
    Blogger Leila said...

    God, no. If I had actually found any, the library would have reimbursed me.

    We just got four more copies in the mail today. I'll have plenty if extra kids show up next week--which they might. Even though signing up is supposedly mandatory, I'm a pushover. Shocking.

    1:26 PM

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home