A description will appear someday. I promise.

9/07/2004

Eats, Shoots and Leaves - Lynne Truss

Lynne Truss, the punctuation nerd.

I've been looking forward to reading Eats, Shoots and Leaves for a long time. This weekend, it was finally my turn for the library copy. I loved it: it was funny, informative and it made me feel better about the day at Garden Street Market when I looked around to make sure no-one was looking, ran over to the outdoor whiteboard and erased an apostrophe from the word "litterbugs". (The sentence read, "Don't be litterbug's!") I couldn't help it. It had irked me for days, and finally, I just couldn't stand it anymore.

I stink at grammar. We never officially learned it in school--I think that we were supposed to just pick it up as we went along. I've always just written what seems right to me. (I did realize, during the reading of this book, that part of my problem might be that English & American grammar and punctuation rules are very different. Since most of my punctuation knowledge comes from reading, my love of British novels has probably mixed me up for life). I DO, however, know the difference between "it's" and "its", and that the word "groceries" does not require an apostrophe (the afternoon that I finished reading the book, I saw a sign that read, "Grocery's available here.")

I've always been semi-careful about complaining about crappy punctuation because: (a) My punctuation has never been that hot, so who am I to complain, and (b) I don't want people to think I'm any more of a complete snot than they already think I am. But Truss touches on this problem in the Preface:
...Some may say that the British are obsessed with class difference and that knowing your apostrophes is a way of belittling the uneducated. To which accusation, I say (mainly), "Pah!" How can it be a matter of class difference when ignorance is universal? ... Caring about matters of language is unfortunately generally associated with small-minded people, but that doesn't make it a small issue. The disappearence of punctuation (including word spacing, capital letters, and so on) indicates an enormous shift in our attitude to the written word, and nobody knows where it will end.
Any lover of language should read this book. For the information, sure, but also because it's a genuinely enjoyable read, full of bizarre factoids. Before I read this book, for instance, I didn't know that Gertrude Stein thought that the comma was "servile". A word of warning, though: after reading this book, you'll see the mistakes everywhere. And they will really, really annoy you.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that's really weird. I mean about me being like you in the fact that I never learned grammar except for along the way. I've learned how to write with correct grammar (for the most part) simply by reading it. For instance, I don't know every single rule, but I can spot a mistake in the structure of a sentence with my eyes closed. I realized where my strengths and weaknesses were when I was doing some practice SAT stuff. I will need to read up on the rules of grammar in order to take the actual SATs.
I will admit, though, that I sometimes forget about the apostrophe stuff and will accidentally add one where it doesn't belong.
I guess I will be really careful when I write to you from now on. ;)
~Em

5:26 PM

 
Blogger Lauren K said...

Did you notice how inconsistent that book is? And all the mistakes all over it? I read a review in the New Yorker that was soooo critical and snotty. But I suppose if you are going to write a book on peculiar punctuation, you may as well get it right. Or correct. Ly.

7:44 PM

 
Blogger Leila said...

I read that review as well. Or one like it. I didn't care--the book was really funny. And she had some of the same pet peeves that I do.

In the introduction, she said that when the book came out in England, someone wrote a huge review of it, saying that he LOVED the book, but that she got all of the punctuation wrong. She said that that was when she realized that she'd better get used to it...

12:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool, I'll check out the book. But I already see mistakes everywhere, and they already annoy me. What's worse is that as I've been spending the past couple of years instant messaging more and more I'm watching my grammar slip more and more. I could chalk it up to bad typing or just not paying attention (as I haer one thing in my mind, and thype another), but I now have to be super vigilant when proof reading, and I'm still missing stuff.
The dumbening has begun.

chrissyt

2:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home