A description will appear someday. I promise.

1/26/2005

Running with Scissors -- Augusten Burroughs

To everyone who recommended this book to me:

THANK YOU!!

I loved it. I marked so many pages (with bookmarks, I hate dog-eared pages) that I finally had to stop because I ran out of scrap paper. I read so many passages out loud to Josh that he went to work the next day talking about the book I was reading--not the book he himself was reading. I laughed so hard and so often that I had to put the book down at points. I LOVED IT.

Tracy, what was it that the people in the book group objected to? Was it the sex? Because, damn it, there was only about 6 pages of it. Out of 304! Granted, it was graphic, sketchy, and disturbing, but come on! Or were they upset about something else?

For the uninitiated, Running with Scissors is Augusten Burroughs' memoir of his childhood. Things start out semi-normally, with his parents on the verge of divorce:

My father's face grew red as he added a splash of tonic water to his glass. "Deirdre, will you settle down. You're hysterical, just hysterical." Because he was a professor, he was in the habit of repeating himself.

She stood up from the sofa and walked slowly across the white shag carpeting, as if finding her mark on a soundstage. "I'm hysterical?" she asked in a smooth, low voice. "You think this is hysterical?" She laughed theatrically, throwing her head back. "Oh, you poor bastard. You lousy excuse for a man." She stood next to him, leaning her back against the teak bookcase. "You're so repressed you mistake creative passion for hysterics. And don't you see? This is how you're killing me." She closed her eyes and made her Edith Piaf face.
You may notice that his mother is a tad dramatic. Well, don't get the idea that the father lacks drama--a few pages later, he chases her around the house and tries to brain her with a fondue pot. Shortly thereafter, they split up and Augusten's mother decides that she can't handle the strain of raising him--so she gives him to her psychiatrist. Keep in mind that this is a man who believes that he's receiving messages from God through his own poop.

What about Hope; would she ever get married? "See all that corn? Hope's going to marry a farmer."
The house is filthy, filled with the psychiatrist's many children, his aptly-named grandson Poo and quite a few of his patients--former and current.

This is completely unrelated, but one of my favorite passages was about smoking:

Smoking had become my favorite thing in the world to do. It was like having instant comfort, no matter where or when. No wonder my parents smoked, I thought. The part of me that used to polish my jewelry for hours and comb my hair until my scalp was deeply scratched was now lighting cigarettes every other minute and then carefully stomping them out. It turned out I had always been a smoker. I just hadn't had any cigarettes.
LOVED LOVED LOVED it. More than David Sederis. Much more, actually. So, again, thanks for the recommendation!

3 Comments:

Blogger ShellyS said...

I loved Running With Scissors. I also loved his follow-up, Dry, and am looking forward to his newest, the title of which is escaping me for the moment. Dry is about his alcoholism and rehab and working in advertising.

8:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shelly is right... "Dry" is amazing too.

I'm still not sure what the hell is wrong with my book club. I mean, a little gay, pedophilic sex and they all freak out like a bunch of ninnies.

Actually, it went down like this (oooh, good pun there..., but I digress): About a week prior to when most of the gals would have started reading RWS, one lady e-mailed the group to say that she was about 100 pages into the book and found it so "graphic" that she felt it necessary to ask the group if they would reconsider reading it. She then said that if we still decided to read it, she would just "sit this one out". Well, being the one who recommended it, I simply HAD to reply. And I asked her not to sit it out. I told her I couldn't ask her to read the book, but at the very least, I wanted her to consider coming to the mtg and sharing WHY she felt that way. She did... the discussion went well, but most of the gals thought it was "graphic" or "disturbing"... and one girl even asked me to explain why I thought it was funny.

I have to tell you, explaning to someone WHY RWS is funny is like explaining why plants need sun to grow. I actually went through this emotional period where I didn't think I wanted to be a part of that group anymore.

Whew. I tell you...

But read "Dry" and you'll be glad you did. I actually read them out of order, and it didn't matter none.

tracy
http://durteemartini.blogs.com

5:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. That book sounds really great! The selections that you've chosen have me wanting to read it. And trying to kill someone with a fondue-pot seems amusing to me.

Literaryvamp

8:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home